Typically around this time of year is when we are the most sedentary and when the most weight gain occurs. With Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year’s comes more drinking, more indulging and a busier time of year meaning less time for working out and taking care of ourselves.
When I was approached by Renew Life to take part in their 30 Day Challenge for the month of November, I knew this was just what I needed. This challenge isn’t about a complete overhaul of your life, but about doing little things that will impact your overall health and well being.
For the past (almost) thirty days, I have been taking the Renew Life Ultimate Flora Critical Care 50 billion Probiotic pills (you can read more about them in one of my past posts here), adding in 30 minutes of exercise daily, and making healthier choices when it comes to food.
I only have a few days left in my challenge and the results have been great! Adding in the probiotic is something I was already doing, so it wasn’t hard for me to keep that up. What I specifically love about Renew Life’s Probiotics is that each pack features 50 billion active cultures from 12 different bacteria stains including one known for its ability to help fend off respiratory infections. While other probiotics require you to refrigerate them, this product is a shelf stable version and can easily be taken while traveling or on the go making it so easy to add into your day-to-day life. I have been taking the Renew Life Probiotics since June and have noticed a continued improvement in my energy levels, clearer skin, better digestion, and less bloating.
I also found incorporating 30 minutes of exercise into my day achievable for the most part. The weather has been great where I live and most days I easily got in a half hour or longer walk with my dog or Bria. Other days I would do a simple yoga video from YouTube or go on my treadmill. One new addition in the exercise department is the Bellabeat fitness tracker that I started using. I loved that it allowed me to track my fitness progress throughout the challenge, but also tracked other important factors when it comes to overall health like quality of sleep, breathing, stress levels and monthly cycles.
Want to start your own 30 Day Challenge? Here are a few tips from Dr. Sara Celik, a board-certified Naturalistic Doctor:
- Take 10 deep belly breaths before starting your day. This will help your body relax and can make you feel more grounded.
- Add fibre to every breakfast (e.g. chia seeds, flax seeds, oatmeal, or fruit), or opt for a daily fibre supplement.
- Consider a daily probiotic supplement (with 50 billion active bacterial cultures) to support healthier digestion and re-balance your gut flora. Probiotics may produce B vitamins, such as vitamin B12, which can help boost energy levels. Recent evidence suggests the change in gut flora while taking a probiotic can happen in just 3-4 days.
- Take a power walk as soon as you are finished lunch or dinner. Movement after a meal may help with digestion and can lead to better weight loss results. One study showed that walking at a brisk speed for 30 minutes immediately after lunch and dinner leads to more weight loss than does walking for 30 minutes beginning one hour after a meal.
- Rub 2 drops of lavender oil on your temples to help calm your mind and relax before bed.
- Smile each day, express gratitude, and celebrate your healthy journey!
What are you doing to improve yourself from the inside out?